Tuesday, March 26, 2013

amish friendship bread and things that happen in the middle of the night

i don't know much about the amish but their friendship bread is going to do me in. have you ever been given an amish friendship bread starter? it's kind of like those chain letters we did in middle school. except infinitely more delicious.

IMG_7834

here's the short version: someone passes you a starter bag with ten days of instructions. most days are just squishing the bag, some days you add things (flour, milk, sugar). on day ten, you add more ingredients and split it into four parts in bags. adding more ingredients (baking powder, salt, etc.) you bake two loaves from what is left and give the four bags to four friends (or keep one for yourself if you want to do it again).

IMG_7840

it isn't gluten free, so i gave one loaf to our neighbors and ate the entire second loaf myself (over a period of days, guys. i do have a little self control.). it is SO GOOD. i am on day six of my second batch and my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

i must change the subject. and that is my transition into things that happen in the middle of the night. back in october, i wrote about being up with jane at 4am. then, i figured it wouldn't be too long before she slept through the night. she still doesn't, but i don't want to talk about that.

instead i want to share a small middle-of-the night moment that meant the world to me——three small words from my husband. jane had been crying so hard that ben came up to check on us. i think it was around 1am? ben went back to bed, but i rocked and sang to jane to settle her down. i fed her and put her down to sleep. when i found my way back to bed, ben sleepily thanked me for loving our girl. then he said, "i trust you."

i fell asleep pondering and cherishing those words from my husband. for a wife to have her husband's trust is no small thing (proverbs 31:11) and trust can be lost so quickly. i am not tooting my own horn here. all is grace. but i am gratefully and publicly thanking my husband for his affirming words that spur me on to work hard in my domain at home to demonstrate my love and respect for him. staying at home with our girl is a great honor and his hard work to provide for our family makes it possible. i don't take that lightly.

OH! and in other news, jane is officially a daddy's girl. she says "dad" and "dada" from morning 'til night. not sure she has any idea what it means but i like to think she does.

we love you, ben!

photo(3)

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow obsessed Amish-friendship-breader, I have to share this little gem with you: http://makeitfromscratch.blogspot.com/2009/01/take-control-of-your-amish-friendship.html.

    I made 4 loaves today, and they are headed for the freezer for post-baby snacking. I am very intrigued by the different recipe ideas she has at the end of this blog post!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...